Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Discovery Time

Today the Kowhai Team had their first Discovery Time.  

This time gives children opportunities to ...


  • Share and take turns
  • Solve problems
  • Show initiative and think for themselves
  • Help each other and work cooperatively
  • Be creative and think outside the square
  • Take risks and try out new ideas

Look at us at work.

Maybe we can smash it on the concrete. 
It's solid.  
Does it float or sink?
I'm being a creative learner.
How many can I pick up?
We're pretending to have tea.
It's chewy because of the wax. 
It's messy.
We just tasted honey.
I've made a house with pencils.
I don't know how many I've got. I'll count them.
Now I know how many.

We are trying to make the bee keepers special hat. 

We can't wait until next the Discovery Day. 







5 comments:

  1. What a wonderful idea. Everyone looks like they are having fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the learning that is happening during your discovery time. I can see you are doing a lot of thinking while you 'do' things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Mrs Irvine we were doing a lot of thinking.
      "I was thinking about a way to break the ice" said Zara.
      "I was thinking about how to make new colours by mixing other colours," said Thea.
      "I was thinking about the flowers and what shapes to make them" said Sienna.
      "I was thinking about how many bottle tops I could scoop out" said Scarlett.

      Delete
  3. Great work Room 4!
    I really love how you used all the school disposition and values especially the curious disposition. I loved how you thought outside the box. I bet you had some of the most interesting questions. What was some of your favourite activities?Anyway i am sure that Mrs Butler is very proud of you that how well you worked with everybody and thought of so many good questions and self-managed!
    Maneet,Room 15

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Maneet for looking at our blog. We are proud of our blog. Last week we made some jelly. We found out water can be a liquid or a solid or a gas. That was fun.
    From Room 4

    ReplyDelete